[AT] Mower Deck Coating

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Mon Apr 25 22:33:14 PDT 2005

Gene:

Vely intelesting. I've tried a few coatings but not with any real success.
The coatings I have tried seemed to do the job but didn't seem to last very
long. I too prepped the deck before painting by sandblasting. My analysis
was the stuff I had used just wasn't hard enough. It stuck but wore off.

Epoxy resin sounds like a significant step forward. I've heard of others who
have had the decks coated with P/U bed coating with good luck as well. Maybe
it really is similar stuff.

In our constant wet weather mowing conditions it is very difficult to keep
the underside of the deck clean for good mowing and the constant wetness
brings on the rust.  Decks don't last long here.

I'm going to try your suggested coating on any deck that I know won't be
used for a couple weeks or so. That may be this fall at current grass
growing rates.

I've also considered powder coating the underside of the deck but the only
place I've checked about that quoted me a price that caused my hemorrhoids
to flare up. :-)

We can almost watch the grass growing right now and not get bored. Lot's of
spring rains and absolutely gorgeous sunny weather the last few days. The
Dandelions seem to grow at night, go into bloom and shed their seeds before
you wake up the next morning. Nasty suckers. By the time I get one end of
the lot mowed the other end needs to be mowed again. Seems to me there are
other things that need to get done besides mowing the lawn.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com