[AT] IH b-414

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 25 17:31:58 PDT 2005

This may be a subject for the red list, but I know some of the same people
hang out here also, so here goes.

Came onto an opportunity to buy  an International B-414 today.  Owner said
it runs but not started for over a year and needs a new battery. Went to
look it over after work.  Discovered the base of the muffler rusted off,
muffler laying horizontal and the exhaust pipe wide open to the weather.  Oh
oh.  One rear axle seal has been leaking for a long time.  Sheet and fenders
pretty good but grill missing.  Has a heavy guard in front of the grill and
a pretty stout front end loader.

I went back over later with a battery pack and flashlight to look down the
exhaust.  Lots of rust scale piled down there.  Hooked the battery pack to
the battery and also right at the starter.  Starter klunks the flywheel
pretty solid, but the fan didn't budge.  Fan won't turn by hand either so I
am guessing it is stuck or maybe seriously damaned from the water
infiltration.  As near as I can see thru the small peek space between the
loader sides and the hood, no splits show in the exhaust side of the
manifold.

There is no 3 pt. hitch or pto on this tractor.  The asking price is about
what the loader is probably worth and in the worst case situation, the
loader may adapt to my 340U without a lot of  change.

I guess I am fishing for any suggestions of info anyone wishes to offer at
this point.  Is the exhaust manifold to exhaust port such that water will
freely drain into the cylinders when a valve is open?  The MO oil level is
not overfull, so the crankcase may not be loaded with water, but a cylinder
or two may have frozen and cracked??  No coolant showing in the radiator.

Price $500.00.

What say Ye?

Charlie V.