[AT] Building

Gerald Johnson geraldajohnson at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 25 07:07:19 PDT 2005

A few years ago I was serving on my local county airport commission and one
of our jobs was approving hangar designs.  U.S. Steel Structures in Boone,
NC is close to us and thus they were always trying to sell the Quonset style
hangars to our pilots.  One of our board members decided to take them up on
their offer.  They told him it could "easily" be erected in a week.  He
hired a local contractor to put it up.  The building arrived in nice neat
stacks of formed sections along with the bolts and anchor hardware to put in
the concrete and set of plans.  He was cautioned by the dealer that the
placement of the anchors (angle brackets with bolt holes in them) had to be
precise per the plans so he paid particular attention to this.  A month
later the thing was finally finished!  He had a terrible time trying to line
up the panels but eventually succeeded....but labor cost a lot more than he
expected.  Later the company came to another of our meetings pitching their
design.  The same guy asked them why it took longer than they said it would
to erect the building and they said it was because it had to be "their crew"
if it was to be erected in a week.  He then told them he needed another one
for storage at his small manufacturing company....and told them to use
"their crew".    It took their crew a month also!   Seems these things can
be very contrary to line up and since one "hoop" bolts to another and any
misalignment at the start fights you all the way to the end.  Others may
have had much better experiences.  We eventually stopped approving this
design as we found that post-frame pole buildings looked better and were
easier to fit with the big hangar doors.

Gerald
Western, NC