[Farmall] F-12 Tinkering --- stuck on brakes

Daniel W. Oehmke doehmke at pressenter.com
Sun Apr 24 18:58:48 PDT 2005

Can anybody tell me the trick to removing the brake drums on an F-12?
The manual says to "remove them", which is about as helpful as the other
common phrase "removal is self-evident.  Actually, this looks pretty
straight forward, but I'm still sutck.

I have removed the big nut on each shaft. Tried to use two 3/8 bolts in
the two holes in the right drum to pull it off the splined shaft, but it
won't budge.  This one has been outside for sometime without the brake
cover.  Even broke off a grade 8 bolt and called it a day after getting
that out.   Can I heat the drum around the splines or will that damage
the shaft?

On a more positive note, I pulled the mag yesterday and tore it down
enough to replace the coil.  It wasn't starting at all after it had been
running a while.  Got everything back together and on the tractor pretty
easily and quickly.  Starts right up when she's hot now.  Problem
solved.  Amazed at how comfortable I felt with the mag --- Kudos to Carl
for his CD, which I studied a lot last year.

Dan Oehmke
Welch, MN