[AT] Fwd: [MV] Fw: [MV] Tug pics OT

Gene Waugh gwaugh at wowway.com
Sat Apr 23 08:11:29 PDT 2005

A number of years ago 9well, late 70's) I had a tour of two large,
ocean-going tugs in long Beach, CA---the wife of a couple we knew was a
secretary for an international salvage firm.

We went on board two tugs---one older (built in 1943), and a more modern
one.  I do not remember the length of either boat, but man, these puppies
were little more than a boat built around the engine(s)!

The older one used a GM locomotive engine---it was a straight engine, I
don't remember the no of cylinders---but it turned a 14 foot prop!!!

The newer one had, I think, twin Cat V-12's with each one turning a 12'
prop!!!  These boats were down and dirty impressive!

Gene
Gene Waugh
Elgin, Illinois USA