[AT] OT Redbud/asparagus

Cecil Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Sat Apr 23 05:00:25 PDT 2005

    No, this isn't the food List but this week it has come close, hasn't
it?  It is a sign
that winter is about over and we can get busy outside pretty soon. I've
been down
to the garden and am making plans for the coming season.

    As to asparagus, we never boil asparagus. We steam it in a vegetable
steamer.
And as a matter of fact, we do quite a few vegetables that way.
Asparagus only
needs to be thoroughly heated anyhow - a couple minutes in the steamer
will do it
nicely. We serve it with butter or with a white sauce depending on how
we feel that
day. All the white sauce is is a white gravy similar to sausage or
chipped beef gravy
and easy to make.  And we cut ours just like H. L. and Ron Cook, cut
just below
the surface with a sharp knife.

    Before I comment on grits (pronounced "grih-yuts" most places I've
been down
south) I want to say that before I retired, I had men working in the
South for years.
Generally speaking from North Carolina on the east to Tennessee on the
north,
Louisiana on the west and southern Florida to the south. They had a
standing order
to find me any small southern cafe that served a buffet noon meal and an
invitation
to join me at my expense for lunch. I loved those buffet meals -
generally they were
put on by 3 or 4 town women who did the cooking, served the food and
cleaned up
afterwards for something to do and make some extra money. The menu was
always
about the same - plenty of vegetables, greens with bacon, black eyed
peas, butter
beans, several kinds of potatoes, some kind of squash, hush puppies as
well as pone
and cornbread, bread sticks, pork rinds, several kinds of barbecued
meats, ham,
sausage, and generally two kinds of gravy and spicy rice. Not much room
left for
dessert but there was usually some kind of cake or pie and soft ice
cream. And the
iced tea never stopped coming. A great meal and generally the places
were crowded
between 12:00 noon and 1:00 and then we were all gone at the same time.
All working
guys looking for a good meal.

    But, grih-yuts were something else, Never could get a taste for
them. My idea of a
good breakfast was sausage, scrambled eggs with plenty of bacon on the
side, spicy
rice  and fried potatoes with sausage gravy over the top.  Corn bread on
the side would
make the meal complete.

     But grih-yuts, no thanks. I rated grits just below some of the
other foods on my don't
ever eat list - like artichokes, chokecherries, french fried ants and so
on. Thanks anyhow
but I'll stick to corn made into pone any day or cornbread or hush
puppies but grits, no,
I think I'll just skip them, thank you.

Cecil