[AT] OT Redbud/asparagus

Vaughn Miller VMiller at messiah.edu
Fri Apr 22 11:38:21 PDT 2005

Hey Charlie, that probably was Chambersburg you were at.  I'm closer to
Harrisburg, and a lot of the fire companies around here have BBQ chicken
dinners similar to what you describe.  Having lived in this area all my
life, it has never struck me as unusual.

Vaughn Miller
Dillsburg PA

>>> chill8 at cox.net 4/22/05 2:25:11 PM >>>
Spencer,

You run into some unexpected little culanary (sp) pockets up there in PA.
was at a show there several years ago.  I can't remember the town but is
was
somewhere NW of Chambersburg or maybe it was at Chambersburg.   Down here
in
eastern NC  we have a vinegar based BBQ sauce that it simply a blend of
apple cider vinegar, salt, red and black pepper with a secret ingrediant
that changes about every 5 miles from the Atlantic ocean to Raleigh.
We use it to season hogs and chicken.  I've never seen chicken cooked
exactly like we cook it anywhere but around here....until I went to that
show.  Those guys were cooking chicken halves on hog wire covered up with
sheets of tin EXACTLY the way we would do it and soaking the birds down
with
the exact same tasting sauce that would be used in the western end of
Craven
Co and the southern end of Pitt Co. NC.

You guys do it about the same in the western end of NC but the sauce tastes

different and usually has some mustard or ketchup in it.
Just as good but different.

For a minute I thought I was in a time/space warp.

Charlie