[Steam-engine] Oiler injector for our Wach's

Andre' Blanchard andre at usermail.com
Fri Apr 22 10:51:47 PDT 2005

When running it on air I would just use an air oiler/lubricator, just
checked McMaster Carr they have a 3/4" for less then $50.00 a smaller one
may work but the price is not that much different.  Keep the oiler close to
the engine so the oil droplets have less chance to settle out.  I would go
with at least 3/4" hose and less then 20 or 30 feet long.  If you use a
smaller hose try putting like a 5 gallon or so, surge tank at the engine
with a larger short hose to the engine with the oiler in that line.
Looked up your pics on webshots.com, looks good.

I have a horizontal with an 8" bore and stroke and I have run it on air, it
runs but it acts like it would really just rather not.  I have a boiler
that I am getting back into shape, it still needs some work and a finial
inspection but I have looked it over, tapped everyplace, did a hydro check
to 60 psi and the other weekend I decided as long as it is on my land and I
am the only one around I would take it up to 15 psi on steam.  It is an oil
burner so there is little chance of overshooting, just have to shut off the
oil valve.

I had 50 feet of 1" steam hose between the boiler and the engine, opened
drain valves on the cylinder and valve chest and cracked the throttle
valve, blew until there was mostly steam coming out, rolled the flywheel
over 180 deg. and warmed up the other end of the cylinder.  Closed the
drain valves, left the ones on the cylinder open just a bit, opened the
throttle a bit more and she started to roll over and gain speed.  It
settled in at about 30 RPM and just as smooth as you could ask for, this is
in contrast to when running on air when if you tried to go too slow it
would want to bounce back off the compression and stop.  On steam it will
run with just 5 psi on the boiler and the throttle valve is still not open
all the way but the cylinder drains have to be open some because things are
getting pretty wet at the end of that long hose.

And this is with an engine that really should have a sleeve, a new piston
and rings put in it.  The cylinder has a crack down the side that has been
welded up on the outside some time in the past and the rings have about 1/4
gap while in the cylinder.  The piston was also welded up, I am assuming
someone feed it a slug of water at some point and crashed it.

Neat thing is with the engine running slow and the burner off on the
boiler, you can stand beside the boiler and at every stroke when the valve
opens you can hear the water in the boiler start boil for a split
second.  I have never heard that at a show, too much noise around.
Andre' B.