[AT] WD/WD45 Intermediate Gear Removal (success)

Will Powell william.neff.powell at comcast.net
Thu Apr 21 20:44:37 PDT 2005

Hello;

OK, the gear is now out.... but it was not that easy to remove....

Had to remove the hydraulic pump.

Then I had to remove the PTO gear unit.

I then removed the set screw wire and set screw for the intermediate
shaft.

I then wedged a screw driver and a chisel between the collar on the
shaft and the thrust washer. This operation moved the shaft about 1/4
inch. It took a lot of pounding. After about 1/4 inch the collar of the
shaft was flush with the torque tube.....

I then created a small tool out of a 1/4 inch bolt that would enable me
to move the shaft in about 1/8 inch beyond the torque tube. The tool
would fit between the torque tube and the shaft enabling me to pound
another wedge in.

I finally had to take 1/8 inch metal and fashion small spacers. I placed
the spacers between the torque tube and the shaft. I could then place my
small 1/4 inch bolt head tool in the gap and wedge the extended collar
forward. I had to use about two 1/4 inch spacers to finally get the
shaft to drop out.

Now I have to repeat the process on the target tractor and then
re-insert the good intermediate gear... Removal of the gear on the
target tractor should be easier because I have the process down now.
The only challenge I see is making sure that the rear thrust washer
stays in place while I drive the shaft back in....

The total process should work and save me from splitting the tractor.
The Manual stated that the tractor had to be split to remove the
gear.... So far the manual is not entirely acurate...

Remember to avoid this problem by only using soft bolts as shear pins,
not hardened bolts......

Regards;

Will Powell
Pottstown, PA