[AT] OT Redbud/asparagus

H. L. Staples hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com
Wed Apr 20 07:11:10 PDT 2005

Hi Cecil good to see your post again.  We always cut the asparagus with a
sharp knife just below the soil surface.

The ferns are left over the winter. This helps to keep the soil from warming
up on warm late winter days exciting the plants to start emerging only to be
bitten off by frost.  We wait until just before the sprigs start to come up
then lightly drag the old plants to bend them over then burn the old
material in place.   No added mulch is used for any of the over wintering
plants.

H. L.