[AT] New tiling rig?

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Tue Apr 19 10:18:50 PDT 2005

Hi H.L.

The mine I mentioned is only about 5 or 6 feet above sea level so water
control is a big issue.  The mine has to be well pointed with BIG points (8"
if I remember right)  all around the area that is being worked.  Then that
water has to be channeled through canals and into ponds and containment
impounds where it is stored for process water for the manufacturing process,
then cleaned up and eventually put back into more ponds.  The bucket wheel
conveyor serves two roles in the process.  It is used to strip off the
overburden as I mentioned earlier.  The dirt comes out of the bucket wheel
and goes onto a conveyor system.  The conveyor system moves the dirt to a
mobile conveyor with a track system similar to the one shown under the
bucket wheel on the web site (just not as large).   That conveyor travels
along and deposits the soil into berms such that it builds dikes for canals
as it goes.

It is a heck of an operation to see!

Charlie