[AT] Roll over plow

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Mon Apr 18 21:48:38 PDT 2005

Landen:

I hope you have a good sized tractor to handle a 3 or 4 bottom roll-over
integral plow.  They are really heavy and will require really good three
point hydraulics and a lot of weight on the front end. 6 or 8 plow bottoms
hanging off the back is a lot of weight.  A tag-along or semi integral
version is a different story.

The nice thing about a switch plow is they don't require both right and left
bottoms so you don't have double plow bottom weight. But they were not
around during the 40's, 50's and 60's that I am aware of.

I have a couple 2 bottom JD roll over three point plows here and they make
my 6000lb JD 620 a bit light in the front end. I think I could weight up the
front end enough for a 3 bottom rollover but never a 4 bottom. But JD's have
only about 30% of their weight on the front end. That is much different than
Oliver/White.

I don't know how Oliver/White handled the problem with the three point
weight issues but JD went to a semi-integral plow so that the plow tail
wheel handled a good portion of the plow weight.

You probably know all this but I was surprised a bit by how heavy these
roll-over plows really are. I'm probably preaching to the choir.  :-)

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com