[AT] OT Redbud/asparagus

David Myers walking_tractor at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 18:37:25 PDT 2005

--- Cecil E Monson <cmonson at hvc.rr.com> wrote:
> 	George, my daughter has quite a large asparagus
> patch
> and hers is almost ready to get the first cutting.

> That first
> cutting is always a real treat.

Cecil and all, a question.  Everyone is talking about
"cutting" asparagus, around Michigan we "pick" it,
literally.  Just grab hold and snap it off.  I always
thought all commercial 'grass' was picked that way, or
is it just a regional thing?  Did know of a few people
that had a patch (garden type, couple of plants or so)
that used a knife, thought them kinda weird at the
time.  But, that was 30 years or more ago.
We grow quite a bit here in the fruit belt, still a
great way for kids to make a bunch of money.  Don't
think I'd want to bend over and carry a basket for
more than a meals worth anymore though. <g>  Still one
of my favorite veggies.
Dave