[AT] OT Redbud/asparagus

H. L. Staples hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com
Mon Apr 18 07:46:59 PDT 2005

George ---As a teenager I put in a small asparagus bed for my mother. While
working on the project a older neighbor lady told me that when she was
growing up they scraped the salt off of salt cured meat and placed the used
salt on their asparagus bed.  The purpose was to help control weeds.

You can use the chemicals "Poast" ( to control grasses) and "Sencor" ( to
control a number of broad leaf weeds )  Apply the Sencor after the last
harvest but before the crop begins to emerge.

H. L.

PS.  A two layer plastic cover over the asparagus to produce white spears
can be constructed by placing wire bows along the row then first a black
layer then a white layer to top it all off.  The white top will help keep
the temperature inside the tent form getting to high.

We don't bother covering and sell all our asparagus green.  The bleached
asparagus after cutting will turn green if exposed to light.