[AT] OT Redbud/asparagus

Roger Welsch captneb at micrord.com
Mon Apr 18 05:55:08 PDT 2005

Around here it was the custom to "salt" the asparagus.  It seems asparagus
is more salt tolerant than other plants and it's a sort of easy weeding.
I'd be uneasy about trying it on a favorite patch but maybe it would be
worth giving a shot on an isolated plant or two to see how it works.  In
Europe asparagus is white...or more precisely an ivory or pale
yellow...because they blanche it in the sense of the word of covering it
from the sun.  I like it looking green and healthy rather than like ghost
asparagus but it is nice and tender...if less flavorful.  They do this with
mulch, George, so you may be simply exhibiting your European culinary
sophistication!

Rog