[AJD] 202-H Plow

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sat Apr 16 10:16:41 PDT 2005

Bob:

A JD Model 202 H plow is a two bottom, two way moldboard plow with hydraulic
lift as opposed to trip lift. Two way plows were used on land to avoid a
dead furrow. The 202 H version of this plow was manufactured by JD from 1950
to probably the early 60's when integral roll over plows became more
popular.

There were three different two way plows made by JD of this type. The 101,
202, and the 303 with 1, 2 or 3 bottoms respectively. Only the 202 and the
303 versions offered the (H) option of hydraulic lift.

If the plow is in decent shape I would recommend grabbing it because they
are not often seen and would be an interesting collector item. The hardest
part is finding replacement moldboards and shares for the left side if they
have the older style 2 piece bottoms. Not made anymore by anyone that I am
aware of.

I own three model 101's hoping to make two good ones out of them. I have had
a really hard time finding any parts for them. Two on steel and one on
rubber. I would suspect a model 202 would be even harder to find parts for.
I've seen less than 5 202's in my travels through the West and Midwest and
very few were in good enough shape to consider restoration. This series of
plows is a little bit like mechanical monsters and are a little gangly and
clumsy and I wouldn't consider them the best plows JD ever made by any
measurement. But an interesting piece of JD plow history.

I may have an extra Operator's manual for the 202 and do have a Parts
Catalog on CD for the 202's so if you need some documentation on them I can
probably be of some help.

Hope this helps.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290