[AT] More JD Plow info

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Fri Apr 15 19:58:13 PDT 2005

Joe:

I would anticipate the landslides to be the long variety since your plow
doesn't have a tail wheel. I would question however, if the tail wheel is
just missing or whether the plow never had one. I'll have to do some more
research in my model 4 operator's manual to see if one could use a model 4
plow w/o a tail wheel. BTW: to determine whether it is a 14" or 16" plow,
measure from center to center of the two beams at a right angle to the
beams.

Here are the years the various model year plows were built:

4B = 1935-1948
4C = 1935-1949
4D = 1938-1949

It is going to make it harder to identify which version of 4 the plow is due
to the fact that there is no tail wheel. The tail wheel size was one of the
differences between the plows. Another dating aid will be whether the plow
has an open or closed trip clutch. JD changed from the open to closed type
clutch in 1940.

What would be a real help to identify the version of the plow is two things:

1.) Several digital pictures from various critical angles
2.) Any and all casting numbers you can find on the plow.

I have both an Operator's manual and a Parts Catalog for the 4B, 4C & 4D
plows. So given enough critical casting data we should be able to identify
the version. At least narrow down to a build year range.

Now Landslide replacement:

I'm going to take a WAG at identifying your bottoms as 1450's and then the
long landslide has the following part number options:

1450 6
LDS 1450 6
1450 SN 6
LDS 1450 SN 6

I believe in the industry they just called it a #6 landslide but this is
even before my time!  :-) Back in those prehistoric days. :-)

I have found two NOS LDS 1350 SN 6 landslides available for sale but they
are for a left hand bottom. I suspect they are mirror images of the right
hand bottom version. I also suspect they could be made to work quite easily
in a right hand application. There is also a 1450 moldboard available and a
1451 plate which may be a moldboard, landslide or share.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com