[Steam-engine] The missing Russell

G&M Christoffersen glemar at astreet.com
Fri Apr 15 15:25:14 PDT 2005

Paul Ward wrote:

>I have several questions that I'm hoping the group can address.
>1. Did Roy Conn sell the engine to H. Lester Lee?
>2. Does anyone know where this engine is today?
>3. Does anyone see any faults in my logic?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Paul Ward

#17083 was built in 1922.  I have an old letter that states that 1923
production consisted of #17088 thru #17151.  The letter goes on to say
"In 1924, they made only one engine.  It was #17152, which was the last
engine they built.  But after they closed down, Mr. Schnider put 4
unfinished engines together and Mr. Zeno Hawk of Stone Creek, Ohio
bought the last engine to leave the Russell factory.  It was Number
17156."   This letter was written by a man named H. C. Etchison in
1961.  My old Russell lists show that 17853 was in Wooster Ohio.  Of
course, I don't know if that is still true.

Glen Christoffersen
Former owner of Russell 12 hp # 12857