[Farmall] Sickle Bar Mower Question

CDHORN at aol.com CDHORN at aol.com
Fri Apr 15 08:32:23 PDT 2005

A riveting machine would be nice, but I replaced a lot of sickle sections
when I was young a never had a problem with loose rivets.  My Dad taught me  to
chisel the head off the old rivets at the sickle section side and then punch
the rivet out.  This way you avoid enlarging the hole in the sickle as you
can when you drill out the section.  When replacing the new sections, it  was
important to have a good backing plate.  We used an old chunk of  railroad track
which was slightly curved at the top.  The new rivet is then  "flattened"
with a ball peen hammer (round end down) to form a dip in the center  of the top.
 The idea is to get the barrel of the rivet to expand and fit  tightly in the
holes.  I never had a problem with loose sections, but I did  beat up my
hands a few times until I got the hang of  it.