[Farmall] Sickle Bar Mower Question

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Apr 15 04:38:24 PDT 2005

The good news, Carlton, is that all the (wear) parts for virtually all
of the old IH sickle bar mowers are pretty much the same. The "sections"
(or 5 sided knife pieces) are standard and can be purchased from any
farm equipment store, Case IH dealers, or on-line/catalog from
Valu-Bilt, T.H.E. Company, etc. The confusing part is that they come
"plain", "under serrated", or "top serrated", and which you use is
somewhat dependent on the material you are cutting.  (The sections come
in packages of 10.) I happen to use under serrated on grass and weeds. I
find that I often needed to replace the original IH guards, as they get
beaten up when cutting along my stone and stump filled lane.
Replacements are also available from the same sources and not expensive
(and they last forever). Be sure to buy new mounting bolts for the
guards, as the old ones are usually in pretty bad shape. (The
replacement guards are usually painted green, unfortunately. But if that
bothers you, that is easy enough to correct.) I was also able to buy a
complete bar with sections attached from Case IH some years back, but it
was old stock, and they may not have them any more. The biggest problem
for most folks is the rivets. You can drill out the old rivets and
hammer the new ones flat, but I never had good luck with getting a
really tight fit that way. I bought a portable rivet press that punches
out the old rivets and "sets" the new ones very nicely. Valu-Bilt item
T55-0584 it the right item, but there is no image of it on their
Website. (The price has about doubled since I bought mine!) You can, I
have heard, convert your riveted sections to bolt-on, but I have never
done that. Pitman sticks and hold down clips are also and available from
the same sources. I would give Valu-Bilt (www.valu-bilt.com> and T.H.E.
Company <www.the-co.com> a call and ask for a copy of their current catalog.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an
injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are
aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily; and why older
persons, especially if vain or important, cannot learn at all. -Thomas
Szasz, author, professor of psychiatry (1920- )