[AT] RE: Land slides (plow parts)

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Wed Apr 13 16:41:00 PDT 2005

My Dad used to tell a story about making landslides, Andy.  His father
(my grandfather) cut a new one out of steel and had it all finished when
he discovered that he had put the countersinks on the wrong side of the
plate.  So he put it back in the forge, heated it up, and beat the
countersink through from the opposite side by putting a plow bolt in the
hole and pounding it down through the stake hole in the anvil.

Knowing what I know now about steel, forging, machining, etc, it was
probably stronger having been made that way than if he had made it right
in the first place.

Larry