[AT] RE: high octane??

Gene Dotson gdotsly at loganrec.com
Wed Apr 13 15:22:12 PDT 2005

    I have seen the demonstration myself. Our Young Farmer group
had a representative from the Standard oil refinery who was our
guest presenter one evening. He has a variety of fuels and test
cylinders for his demonstration. He had clear Lexan cylinders of
approximately 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Each tube had one or two
spark plugs near the ends. When the low octane mixture was
ignited by the spark, the mixture burned very fast. When the
high octane mixture was used the burn rate was noticably slower.
He also demonstrated detonation with a tube that had a spark
plug in each end. When the mixture was ignited from both ends,
you could actually see the flame fronts travel through the tube
and when the two flame fronts collided, the result was a very
dramatic explosion. If anyone in the classroom was asleep, he
had their immediate attention.
    This would be an interesting demonstration for the Portland
show.

                        Gene