[AT] Rambling about waste.

Greg Whittaker gwhittak at triton.net
Wed Apr 13 11:15:16 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Indiana Robinson" <robinson at svs.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 11:07 AM
Subject: [AT] Rambling about waste.

> I won't be giving much more away since several of those I gave it too kind
> of abused the
> privilege...   One guy I told that he could have a truck load for "some
> spots in a
> waterway" brought in his big farm truck and a big loader and took 4 huge
> loads... Another
> guy did the same thing. They don't grasp that this stuff has value to me
> and just
> consider it a free ride. They forget that it cost us to turn it, takes up
> ground that
> could be in crops and does require a bit of our time.

  I've given field stone to friends who wanted some for small projects like
flower beds etc.  One of these "friends" had one of his friends come up from
downstate with a trailer to get a load of free rocks.  He went back with an
empty trailer.  We told another friend she could have some rocks to fill in
some washouts on her driveway fill.  The next thing I knew she was making
arrangments for an excavator and a dump truck to come out and start hauling
them away.  She couldn't understand that rocks ARE worth money and if she
wanted them by the dump truck load it was going to cost her $500.00 for each
10 yard load.  Haven't talked to her since.  The rocks aren't in the way,
they cost a lot of sweat, back aches and injured fingers to pick up and I
really don't care if I get rid of them.  I've offered free rocks to people
if they come and pick them up out of a field but that's too much work.
They'd rather get them out of a pile.

Greg Whittaker
Wolverine Mi.