[Steam-engine] Its out! Watch out for the muscles from Bloomington!

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 13:10:26 PDT 2005

I somehow got this idea that I should remove the crank
from the Huber as part of the restoration.  In order
to remove the crank the flywheel must be removed.  I
reasoned that removing the key should be easy since
brice had it out in the last 2-3 years.  I've never
thought of Brice as a big guy but now I'll be sure not
to start anything with him after seeing how tight he
got the key.  The key definetly did not pop out with a
few raps of the hammer.  I started with some hammering
on the "bump" on the end of the key.  Seeing no
movement I started with a 3 lb slide hammer.  No
movement add 10 ton porta-power with slide hammer &
heat cycles.  No movement, use 10lb slide hammer pull
key in two twice.  While I was out of town dad built a
puller using 3/4 fine thread he cranked down on it
with a long bar and heat cycles.  No movement, last
night dad cranks all that he can on the puller then
installs big slide hammer.  He pounds quite awhile and
finally the key moves and comes out.  Thanks Dad!!
This is a really long key and I would have hated to
try drilling it out.  Is there a source for
replacement keys?  Should I just plan on making my own?

Andy Glines
Evansville, IN