[AT] White Gas

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Apr 13 09:20:50 PDT 2005

"White" gas had no tetra-ethyl lead ("ethyl"). The higher octane rating
was obtained by some method other than adding lead, and the resulting
fuel was supposedly "cleaner". In the NJ area it was sold by Amoco
retailers. It was also recommended for use in Coleman lanterns and
stoves for reasons that were never made clear. Because it had no lead,
the refinery did not add the red dye that was required for leaded gas,
thus it was "white".

Since that time, tetra-ethyl lead has been banned in the US, so all
gasoline in the US is now "white".

Mike

Ray Trimble wrote:
> In the late 50's I remember that some service
> stations had White gas. Does anyone know what
> this gas was and what was it used for?
> Was this a local thing, nort Louisiana, East
> Texas?
>
> Ray

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an
injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are
aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily; and why older
persons, especially if vain or important, cannot learn at all. -Thomas
Szasz, author, professor of psychiatry (1920- )