[AT] Off list - 4 point or 8 point socket

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Wed Apr 13 09:27:23 PDT 2005

Hi Grant:

	I'm sorry that I am so disorganized at answering email these days. I did have your note
flagged to respond. Things are running pretty tough here these days. Neither my mother
nor Diana's is doing very well health wise right now. Diana's mom lives with us and my
mother lives 300' away here on the farm. Her mom is 88, legally blind, "very" hard of
hearing and now not far from a wheel chair due to an progressive back problem. My mother
is a few years younger but barely mobile. Much worse, her mind is failing very badly.
Unlike Diana's mom my mom can be very uncooperative at times and demands huge blocks of
our time. I am just skimming the list and posting sporadically. My only sibling is a
sister 4 states away so she can't help us much. We are just chugging along kind of faking
it and hoping to someday have real lives again... Did you ever see the movie Ground Hog
Day? Every day is ground hog day here these days...   :-)

	About that socket, I only have one that I know of and it is from a very old set (at
least I think I remember a 4 point 7/8"). A good set of 8 points is on my wish list. I
have a few.  I will look in the shop though, I might have one I don't recall. Does your
need really require a socket? How about a square hole box end? Is it possible to weld a
piece of steel across the end of an old heavy open end wrench to make a square box end
wrench? Can you cut a square hole in a solid bar of about 1/2" steel? Could you start
with a piece of square tube like PTO shafting and beef it up and make a socket? Just a
couple of thoughts. I keep watching for sockets at yard sales. There are a lot of dealers
at many flea markets but many of them are as costly as new stuff.

Sorry I can't be more help. Take care.

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. Here 100 years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net