[AT] Land slides (plow parts)

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Wed Apr 13 08:31:16 PDT 2005

On 12 Apr 2005 at 21:46, JAHaze at aol.com wrote:

> Our club has our annual plow day scheduled in two weeks.  I've been thinking
> about trying to go, but have been having a hard time deciding what plow to
> use.  I want to bring my Case C on full steel, and thought it would look best
> pulling a two bottom plow on steel.  My best option is an old John Deere plow I
> have, but the landslides are broken on each of the bottoms.  Do I really need
> these to make it work properly?  I don't think I could ever find replacements
> for them.  I'd really like to find a decent Case plow on steel to use, but I'm
> pretty much out of time.  Thanks for your help.

	Hi Joe:

	For somewhat limited plowing like plow days etc. you should be able to just make new
ones out of heavy mild steel and they should last well. I have also made them from old
throw-away plow shares. One time I used two short pieces of old truck leaf spring welded
to the old one.
	A lot of doing with out good land sides is how the plow is made and adjusted. I have
seen plows where about all the tail wheel did was carry the plow but I had several where
the tail wheel could be set to carry all of the side thrust and did it well. I have used
about every cheap-skate trick in the book to avoid buying parts at one time or another on
a tired old plow. I have been known to weld a piece of steel rod to the leading edge of
the shin boards to extend their life. I have tack welded about anything you can think of
to land sides to keep them going.   :-)    I have never tried Bondo on a moldboard with a
hole but I suspect it would last a  fair while. I have used it inside of a combine header
to fill wear holes on a combine I used to have. It always lasted the season.   :-)

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. Here 100 years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net