[AT] Scrap iron

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Wed Apr 13 07:24:20 PDT 2005

ROTFLMAO!  The first time I read this message, I imagined casting
tractor wheel weights inside a concrete block.  :-)  But then I thought
about the weights used for balancing tires.  What I actually use is the
lead shields out of bite-wing dental X-rays.  A dentist friend of mine
figured the lead needed to be disposed of properly, so he saved them
from his dental clinic for better than 25 years.  He didn't really have
a disposal plan for them, and he happened to mention his stash of lead
to me one day.  I took the whole collection off his hands and melted
them down in a 20-pound bullet casting furnace.  They're cast into
three-pound ingots and stacked in the stone box that came with my FEL
and that I welded to the frame of my tractor.  It's one of the most
compact 600-pound counterweights you can possibly imagine.

Larry