[AT] Mixing High Octane gasoline and Diesel fuel

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Wed Apr 13 00:08:39 PDT 2005

Walt:

I am interested in your response to the following statement found on the
web:

"Diesel has an octane number of about 15-25. The reason for this seemingly
terrible number compared to the ones we're used to from gasoline is the fact
that diesel is combusted in a totally different type of engine. Diesel has
low volatility, low knock resistance, yet high energy per volume. Because of
its low knock resistance, diesel should not be used in a gasoline engine as
it will destroy it very quickly and efficiently.

Generally speaking, diesel fuel ignition quality is not measured in octanes,
as these are a unit for gasoline. A similar reference value, but for diesel,
is the cetane rating. The higher the cetane number, the easier the fuel
ignites when injected into an engine. The cetane number is determined by an
engine test using two reference fuel blends of known cetane numbers. The
reference fuels are prepared by blending normal cetane (n-hexadecane),
having a value of 100, with heptamethyl nonane, having a value of 15. The
higher the cetane rating, the higher the fuel's propensity to knock!
Choosing a very high cetane number will not make the car run better, but
using a fuel with too low cetane number may prevent the engine from starting
or running."

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door