[AT] Mixing High Octane gasoline and Diesel fuel

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Tue Apr 12 18:17:26 PDT 2005

Hi Dean,

I'm not altogether sure about that theory.  I was thinking that the purpose
of octane in Gasoline was to raise the flash point and allow the engine to
reach a higher compression ratio before the gas tried to ignite.  Higher
octane ratings to compensate for higher compression engines.  It seems to me
that adding diesel fuel would do the same thing as the octane.   If you put
low octane gas in a high compression engine you get bad pre-ignition, spark
knock and then dieseling when you try to shut the engine off.  If you add
high octane to a low compression engine you really can't tell the difference
except in the cost.

With the lower compression engines I wouldn't think the higher octane would
really affect anything either way.  As long as it lights off when the spark
plug fires and not before everything is fine.

Just my opinion.  I'm not sure it's right.

Charlie