[AT] Mixing High Octane gasoline and Diesel fuel

Gene Dotson gdotsly at loganrec.com
Tue Apr 12 17:46:39 PDT 2005

    Dean;
    Actually your information is flawed. High octane gasoline
burns slower than lower octane. The additives slow down the burn
rate so it can be used in a high compression engine. Any engine
will develope the maximum power on the lowest octane fuel that
it can use without detonating. Diesel fuel will cause a spark
ignition to detonate if the compression pressure is high enough.
Diesel fuel mixed with gasoline would burn faster to make up for
the slower burn rate of the higher octane. Diesel fuel with a
high cetane rating burns faster than fuel with a low cetane
rating. Diesel fuel contains more BTU's per gallon than
gasoline, so it makes sense that the faster burn rate of diesel
and higher BTU's would offset the slower burning high octane
gasoline and result in more power
    Or you can just use the cheapest and lowest octane in your
tractors and still have more power.
    Using a higher octane than required in low compression
engines results in a burn rate that is often so slow that the
fire is still burning when the exhaust valve opens and will burn
out the valve and seat.
    You Never, never, NEVER gain power by using a higher octane
fuel than the engine requirws.

                    Gene