[AT] Gas Prices

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Apr 12 12:51:15 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Sloane <mikesloane at verizon.net>
To: Antique tractor email discussion group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 6:23 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Gas Prices

> Save your money, Troy - our old tractors were designed to run on about
> the poorest grade of fuel that could be found.

Just out of curiousity I had to check the manual for my Cockshutt tractors
to see their recommendations.
Minimum octane rating was 72 for these engines back in the early 50s. If
memory serves me our pump gas now is 89 octane so there should be no problem
meeting the manual's recommendations.
I can recall my Dad talking about his John Deere D and how it would
occasionally "ping" on certain brands of fuel. This was back in the 50s and
now that I think about it he may have been running it on distillate at the
time.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/