[AT] OT; Gas prices + sockets, etc

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue Apr 12 09:35:37 PDT 2005

Herb:

I can relate. I believe my Dad's way of saying that was "I'd bet a dollar to
a donut" and I think donuts were less than a dime at the time. However, that
was when a dollar bought something of real value too. A store bought donut
was a real treat. I think the few I ever had have now settled around my
waist. A true non-biodegradable. :-)

Yep, the parts were mostly green except for ten - 40 lb suitcase weights
which don't have any markings on them to identify manufacturer. A bright
reddish orange color might lead one to guess Case as the manufacturer.
Heresy!  Bought them because they were cheap, sorry - "inexpensive", at an
auction and they can use the same mounting bracket as my 100 lb JD suitcase
weights.

I'm not sure what has happened recently but 100 lb suitcase weights weigh a
lot more than they used to. It wasn't that many years ago I was noticing
that 150 lb wheel weights weighed a lot more than they used to. There must
be a conspiracy by the National Bureau of Standards whereby they have
changed the units of weight measure. Maybe their instrumentation is out of
calibration!

But there is some consistency here. I noticed that even the bathroom scale
measures more than it used to when I get on to take a look. Maybe the NBS
has become confused between Metric and English measurement. That's it, a
pound actually registers 40% more than it used to. That's about equal to my
weight gain over the last 20 years. I knew there had to be a way to explain
all this. The government is at fault.

Two original 1950's hydraulic stop cylinders (one for parts) and one 1960's
JD New Generation (black instead of green) hydraulic stop cylinder found
there way into the truck bed and two JD 4020 original Top Links and one
420/430 original top link also jumped in. Plus a bunch of other stuff
included in a pallet(box) of stuff purchased at a consignment auction in
Woodburn, OR. It was a good thing I was 7 hours from home or a bunch more
stuff would have jumped on the trailer. Two JD model 44 and one model 52
John Deere two bottom plows sold for parts prices. In fact I think the two
model 44's could have been combined for one really good model 44 plow. I
didn't think it would have been kosher to buy any more plows on the trip as
I was already delivering a model 44 plow that I had sold to a guy in Idaho.
The original intent was to end up with less plows!  :-) But they would have
been mine had we been closer to home. :-) Plow parts are hard to come by.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com