[AT] Gas Prices

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Apr 12 05:23:43 PDT 2005

Save your money, Troy - our old tractors were designed to run on about
the poorest grade of fuel that could be found. Another point that most
people don't realize is that there is no more "power" in higher octane
gasoline. The octane number merely is an indication of how well the fuel
  resists pre-ignition in high compression engines, and this is done
with additives not refining. So no matter how high the octane number of
your gas, you won't get one bit more power out of it, nor will it extend
the life of your plugs, or get your wash any brighter. :-) (I should
point our that, in all fairness, high compression engines like those
found in performance cars and some racing/pulling machinery certainly do
benefit from higher octane fuel. But not old tractors). If you find that
your tractor engine "pings" under heavy load, it usually means that you
need to retard the ignition timing slightly.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we
don't believe in it at all. -Noam Chomsky, linguistics professor and
political activist (1928- )