[AT] Scrap iron

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Apr 12 02:48:56 PDT 2005

I am in a somewhat reverse situation to Jim's: I am planning on a
counterweight to attach to the back of my Case 430 CK three point hitch.
I was going to use a drum filled with concrete, but I have been made
aware that iron/steel is even heavier than concrete for a given volume,
so I am looking to acquire some iron that I can pack into the drum (and
fill up the voids with concrete). I suspect that the ideal items would
be flywheels, transmission/final gears, and cracked heads - compact
items that can provide the most weight in the least amount of space with
(relatively) easy to fill voids. If scrap prices are up, that isn't
going to be as cheap to accomplish as I had hoped. I guess I am going to
have to start visiting some of the local farms to see what they have
rusting away out back...

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we
don't believe in it at all. -Noam Chomsky, linguistics professor and
political activist (1928- )