[Farmall] 340U lift problem "fixed" - what should I do next?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Apr 10 14:02:25 PDT 2005

br549 at hemc.net wrote:
> I have a IT brand 340 service manual as well as the reprint of the 340
> owners manual. Using them, I checked the transmission oil level.
> When I removed the oil level plug, no fluid came out. Even after
> adding TWO gallons of trans / hyd oil none had reached the "full" plug.
> My lift does work correctly now but from the excellent responses I got
> here, I am concerned about the filter and possibility of a leak in the
> system.
On the 340, the fluid is shared by the transmission, rear end, PTO, and
hydraulic system. I don't recall the number, but the whole mess holds
something like 15+ gallons of fluid. So draining and replacing the fluid
is not especially cheap. On the other hand, if the fluid hasn't been
changed in many years, now is as good a time as any to do it (and change
the filters while you are at it. Make sure you have plenty of containers
around to catch what comes out. :-)

> Do you recommend replacing the filter and topping off then watching
> the fluid level? Should I drain all fluid and replace? Is there any other
> recommended or protective / preventive maintenance that should be
> done on the system?
If the pump isn't howling, and everything seems OK, I wouldn't get too
worried. After the tractor has been sitting overnight, I would loosen
the bottom most drain plug and run some fluid out into a glass jar. If
it is white and/or foamy, it is probably full of water and needs
changing. If it is straw colored and clear, then you can probably get
away with just topping off the level. The reason that hydraulic systems
get water in them is that they run hot during the day and the fluid
expands a little, then when the tractor is parked overnight, the fluid
cools down and shrinks back, pulling air in from the outside (usually
through the vent over the PTO housing. High quality hydraulic fluids are
designed to absorb some moisture, but only up to a point. As far as the
filters, I would remove the cover plate and take a look. If they look
like something the dog dragged home - soggy and full of crud, etc. -
then replace them. If the filter is the new metal housing type and looks
clean, then it is probably OK just to put the whole thing back together
(using either a new gasket from Case IH or make one yourself out of a
"Pendaflex" folder using a sharp X-acto knife  and an old .45 caliber
cartridge case for a hole punch) using non hardening gasket cement.

Mike

> Thanks for all the help,

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we
don't believe in it at all. -Noam Chomsky, linguistics professor and
political activist (1928- )