[AJD] Backfire

Gary Epps garyepps at fidnet.com
Fri Apr 8 21:46:22 PDT 2005

Thanks Bruce and Michael.  I checked the mag timing and it was firing
too soon so after adjusting it ran better without as much backfiring,
just little pop now and then.  At least I got it warm enough to adjust
the tappets and get the tappet cover back on.  I still can't start it by
hand though I have hope that I am closer.

Next step is pull the carb and look inside it.  Today I unscrewed the
load needle and saw a little bit of crud on the needle body.  Probably
more inside.

The longer I ran it today the better it ran.  I guess I need to remember
that it hasn't been run much since the engine was gone through in the
early to mid '90s.  Maybe I need to cut a large tree down and drag it
around for a few hours.  I don't have a plow and the ground here is now
ground you would stick a plow in anyway.

Thanks for help.  I'm learning a lot on this old girl.  Hopefully I'll
have her running as smooth as silk before long.  My wife steadfastly
insists that she is not a tractor person and does not like driving
another tractor to pull this one.  If I get the AR (with electric start)
running well I hopt to use it to belt start the D.  Are there any
caveats that I should be aware of in belt starting one tractor from another?

Gary