[AJD] Backfire

Gary Epps garyepps at fidnet.com
Thu Apr 7 21:29:37 PDT 2005

When I tried to start the '35 D this afternoon I got a sharp backfire,
really sharp with a metalic over-tone.  I checked carefully and turning
the flywheel over slowly could hear nor feel anything different.  I
continued trying to start it and got another sharp backfire, this time
without the metalic over-tone.  I was working  under a metal roofed
lean-to fastened to a metal sided building.  I gave up trying to start
it without help to pull it.

The question is Do I have a problem here, other than after flattening
the head, compression is so great I don't have the stamina to start it
by hand.  Am I likely to do any damage pulling it to start it.  Like the
guy said, "It ran before I parked it."  I had it running a month ago it
seemed to run well with the exception that it seemed to have quite a bit
  of flame shooting out the exhaust.  It was near dusk.  What do you
think am I probably alright to start it by pulling?

Gary
--
In the Ozark Mountains of South Central USA where both life and I move
at a leisurely pace.