[Steam-engine] Rivited boilers

Lawrence Swanz LSwanz at superioriron.com
Wed Apr 6 13:05:44 PDT 2005

Jeff,

I was confused, I have been under the understanding that we as owner/operators could replace rivets, staybolts, flues, and do our own piping replacements on engines.  After reading your response I thought I should ask an authority on the topic, so I emailed Joel Amato and proposed the question.  I am attaching both my question and his answer below, which I recieved back today.  This should clarify a few things.

Lawrence

"Lawrence,

Yes, you are correct, as long as no welding is performed on the replacement part for pressure retaining items,  or the pressure retaining portion of the boiler, and the replacement part has an MTR.

This is in accordance with the NBIC part RC-1050.

Joel

>>> "Lawrence Swanz" <LSwanz at superioriron.com> 4/1/2005 7:04:35 AM >>>

Joel,

There seems to be some confusion that I have about the replacement of flues, rivets, & staybolts.  My understanding is that the owner can perform these repairs, as long as we can produce the MTR's on the material, am I correct on this?

Lawrence J. Swanz
Superior Iron Co.
763/428-2211  ext. #223
lswanz at superioriron.com"