[Farmall] Odd 340U lift problem (long)

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Apr 5 05:07:53 PDT 2005

It is pretty hard to diagnose something like this from a typed
description, but if you haven't changed your hydraulic filters or the
fluid, it might not be a bad first move. The new filter assembly is much
different from the old one and much better in my opinion. When I removed
the original filters in my 340, they were just a soggy sludged up mess.
Also be very careful when replacing the cover plate on the filter
housing that you make sure that it is secure and sealed tightly - that
area is actually under suction when the pump is operating, and a small
leak will permit air to get into the system, but not show up as an
external fluid leak. Clean the mating surfaces, make or buy a new paper
gasket, apply non-hardening gasket cement, and tighten down the bolts
evenly.

On the valve bodies themselves, there are two-position knobs/levers
(just flat shafts really), poking through holes in the sheet metal pan
under the instrument panel, that can be set for either single acting or
double acting valves. I don't have the manual in front of me, but it
seems to me that straight up is for single acting, while turned at an
angle is for double acting. You should have the valve for the lift set
for double acting.

The linkage for the "Tele-A-Depth" system is pretty complex, but I don't
recall that there are any adjustments. But it is not impossible for some
of the linkage to be not connected and behave incorrectly as a result.

I have the various manuals for the 340 hitches and if you have
additional questions, I can send you scans of the appropriate pages.
Contact me off-line at <mikesloane at verizon.net>

Mike

br549 at hemc.net wrote:
> Some of this is hard to put into words but I'll do my best... I recently
> got my 340 home and had my first chance to use it today and it was
> acting strangely. I was able to hook up my scrape blade and lift it no
> problem. After setting it down once, the lift would not raise it again. I
> ended up tearing up some of the yard and then, the lift started working
> fine?!?!? When the lift was not functioning, the engine would not
> "load" nor was there any of the normal sound I hear when the lift is
> pushing fluid (I think). I have the industrial three point hitch and the
> basic tel-a-depth (no front or side controls). Do you think the fluid level
> is low? Filter dirty? Bigger problem? I remember my dad's 240 lifting
> the rear wheels off the ground but that did not happen - the ram
> seemed to move up when running the control down - is that normal?
>
> Now my quadrant control "faces" (or is clocked) rearward so I think
> that during a repaint, things were not replaced / documented correctly
> (besides the quadrant control some of the sheet metal is not attached
> correctly). Could there be some pin missing on the lift system (I have
> the microfiche parts breakdown so I might be able to figure it out - if I
> know what to look for).
>
> Sorry so wordy - if anyone is willing to take the time on the phone with
> me, I'll gladly make the call.
>
> Regards,
>
> b from GA

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we
don't believe in it at all. -Noam Chomsky, linguistics professor and
political activist (1928- )