[Farmall] Odd 340U lift problem (long)

br549 at hemc.net br549 at hemc.net
Mon Apr 4 19:36:03 PDT 2005

Some of this is hard to put into words but I'll do my best... I recently
got my 340 home and had my first chance to use it today and it was
acting strangely. I was able to hook up my scrape blade and lift it no
problem. After setting it down once, the lift would not raise it again. I
ended up tearing up some of the yard and then, the lift started working
fine?!?!? When the lift was not functioning, the engine would not
"load" nor was there any of the normal sound I hear when the lift is
pushing fluid (I think). I have the industrial three point hitch and the
basic tel-a-depth (no front or side controls). Do you think the fluid level
is low? Filter dirty? Bigger problem? I remember my dad's 240 lifting
the rear wheels off the ground but that did not happen - the ram
seemed to move up when running the control down - is that normal?

Now my quadrant control "faces" (or is clocked) rearward so I think
that during a repaint, things were not replaced / documented correctly
(besides the quadrant control some of the sheet metal is not attached
correctly). Could there be some pin missing on the lift system (I have
the microfiche parts breakdown so I might be able to figure it out - if I
know what to look for).

Sorry so wordy - if anyone is willing to take the time on the phone with
me, I'll gladly make the call.

Regards,

b from GA