[AT] cheap 4wd tractor

dfolske at nccray.net dfolske at nccray.net
Sun Apr 3 12:16:21 PDT 2005

On 3 Apr 2005 at 5:43, Indiana Robinson wrote:

> On 2 Apr 2005 at 19:45, dfolske at nccray.net wrote:
>
> > Went to a farm auction about 35 miles from here today. The only tractor
> > on the auction was a 700 Versatile 4WD. It only brought $2400.

> 	That is not all that uncommon, I see some of those sell. The trouble with most of that
> bigger stuff is that most big tractors have been "rode hard and put away wet" and much
> like old semi tractors every hic-cup is another $1,000...

Actually, most of these bigger 4WD's have low hours and easy use
compared to the 85hp to 150 hp 2wd's used in rowcrops and especially
by cattlemen with loaders on them. In this country many of the grain
farmers are "Triple A" farmers (April, August and Arizona). Its not
uncommon to see a 4WD that gets used less than 250 to 300 hours per
year. Many of the newer 2wd's purchased by grain farmeers get used
even less.  I know of a JD4440, sold last year by the original owner that
only had about 350 hours on it. Some of the ones owned by cattlemen in
the area had loaders put on them when new and have 14 to 15
thousand hours on them. Driving over frozen cow pies while feeding hay
is like lining up cement parking stops every 3 to 4 feet down the street
and dring back and forth over them all day long. It's tough on tractors
even with a careful operator!!

BTW:

The 700 Versatile above had 18.4 x 38 duals with 80% rubber all the
way around. That's conservatively $1600 worth of tires on the used
market. Usually anyting this cheap is on it's way to a wrecking yard.