[AJD] metal coating roof

chester win deadeyedk at go.com
Sun Apr 3 08:54:09 PDT 2005

Hats off to a good use for an old structure.  I am sure there are many opinions as to what you should use.  Also, there are primers and paints formulated to cling to galvanized metal. I am not too sure how good these are, except for their higher cost. My suggestion is as follows, because you mentioned the entire roof is rusted:

Lightly wire brush the entire surface.  No need to work too hard at it.  Just rmmove anything loose and slightly rough the surface.

Coat with Rustolium over rust primer ( red).  If you can find it, use only the rustolium brand. It should have (over rust) stated on the label.  This product is supposed to contain fish oil and get into the rust for a good bond.  Do not overthin and put on a scimpy coat, but spray is O.K. if not too thin.  A few runs won't matter much up there except to people in airplanes.

Let the primer dry down pretty well.  Out in the sunlight and air a week is probably good.

Paint it over with your favorite color
of regular rustolium oil base paint.
(Tractor ref: could use J.D. green and/or J.D. yellow).

I did this process with a large metal awning (FACES SOUTH TO THE SUN) in 1982 or 1983, and it has held up great. Just now starting to show light rust on the surface after roughly 22 years.

Good luck, and don't fall from the roof.

P.S.  I do not sell paint or any paint products and have no incentive to boost any particular brand.  Just passing along life's observations.

Charlie V.