[AT] Fire danger

dfolske at nccray.net dfolske at nccray.net
Sat Apr 2 17:45:49 PST 2005

Most people don't think of early spring as a fire season but here in North
Dakota prairie fires are common this time of year. There was quite a bit
information on the news today about the spring fire season and the high
fire danger level with high winds today.  Sure enough, about 3 pm my
pager went off. Our volunteer fire department responded with 4 trucks to
a grass fire about 10 miles northeast of town. Someone was burning
garbage and a burning cardboard box was carried into some old straw
bales on the edge of a hay field. Fortunately no one was injured and
there was no real damage. About 10 acres of dry grass was burned off.