Rain and Ford overhaul (was Re: [AT] test

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Apr 2 06:06:53 PST 2005

No driving tractors around here today - the predictions are for 3-5"
before this storm is over. That isn't much for the Gulf states, but that
is a LOT of water in the Northeast. We had a couple of inches on Monday,
leaving all the creeks and rivers nearly full, so todays water will
surely cause some flooding.

I am making progress, however, with the overhaul of my Ford 2N engine. I
pulled the engine and removed the valves, guides, camshaft, and
crankshaft. The reason for this was that I was not able to remove the
cast iron sleeves with my sleeve puller. But with the crankshaft out, I
was able to set up the puller, turn the engine over, and give the bottom
disc of the puller a couple of (not so) gentle taps with a hand sledge.
That got the sleeves moving just enough to let the puller take over. But
it is still a hard pull every inch of the way. I have two liners out,
and have the third started - one a day is about all these out of shape
muscles can handle. Once I have the liners out, I will order all the
replacement parts and put everything back together. The interesting
thing is that the rod and crank bearings are .010 oversize and are like
brand new, but the pistons, rings, and liners are badly worn (or broken
in the case of the rings). The block must have been bored to accept the
thicker cast iron liners, but the pistons are OEM Ford marked with 4
rings. I suppose someone could have gone to all the trouble of boring
the block, installing new sleeves, and turning the crank and yet still
put the original pistons back in, but that doesn't make sense in my
book. The piston grooves are mostly double the original width! But, as
much work as it has been and frustrating at times, it has been a great
learning experience. Thanks to all who offered suggestions on removing
the sleeves and the unique Ford flathead valve bodies, and to Bob Brooks
for lending me his valve unique Ford flathead valve guide remover - I
could not have done it without that tool. My fond wish is that the
assembly will not be nearly as difficult as the tear-down.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we
don't believe in it at all. -Noam Chomsky, linguistics professor and
political activist (1928- )