[AJD] D John Deere Flywheel

Gary Epps garyepps at fidnet.com
Fri Apr 1 23:14:05 PST 2005

Looking at the flywheel on the '35 D this afternoon I noticed a line,
presumably scribed, across the rim of the flywheel going from the
outside of the flywheel to the inside.  Also at another location on the
rim there is a dot created by a punch.  An inch further is a series of
two or three dots.  Are these significant or are they just marks that
have occurred over the last seventy years?  I had not noticed them before.

I found them today as I was rolling the flywheel over a few degrees at a
time, checking the tappets.  It looks like I have one that is probably
too tight.  It is probably tighter than it was before .0020 was taken
off the head to flatten it.  I hope to get them adjusted tomorrow.
Assuming I can get some time away from putting in a lawn.

Somehow I have managed to misplace the bolts that held the shutter
assembly on.  I seem to remember that they were square headed bolts.
Would the correct bolt be square headed for this application?  I'm
slowly getting it put back together.

Next to get it started.  With .0020 milled off the head I give out
before I've turned the flywheel very many times.

Gary
--
In the Ozark Mountains of South Central USA where both life and I move
at a leisurely pace.