[Farmall] lets talk Farmalls

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Apr 1 04:46:36 PST 2005

It is likely a float or float valve problem - sometimes the float gets a
hole in it and sinks, but other times something sticks and keeps the
valve from closing. I would take the top off the carburetor and take a
look. If the float is leaking, it will be full of gasoline. You need to
get the gas out and find the hole (by dunking it in a container of near
boiling water - there will be air bubbles coming out at the hole). Once
you locate the hole(s), you can either try to solder them over or simply
cover them with a thin layer of epoxy (such as JB Weld). The epoxy
treatment is much easier for me. If there is crud in the gas that got
caught in the float valve, that can be cleared. Very old valves can
benefit from being replaced - the needle and seat actually do get worn
over time. Also, look for binding in the movement of the float - if the
gas in the carburetor dries out, it can leave a "varnish" that prevents
the float from moving on the hinge pin. Some shots of spray carburetor
cleaner into the guts can work miracles sometimes.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we
don't believe in it at all. -Noam Chomsky, linguistics professor and
political activist (1928- )