Turning brakes (was Re: [AT] English tractor (modern)

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Sep 28 03:58:55 PDT 2004

I very much agree with Ralph. I used to sell 4WD tractors, and the
instruction manual used to caution the operator to NOT try to use the
wheel brakes for tight turns when in 4WD, as it just wouldn't work any
better than what the 4WD would do (and indeed make the turning worse).
If the tractor was in 2WD, I guess it would help.

Our machines were actually "front wheel assist", not true 4WD, and one
had to remember to only use the FWA when the tires were slipping, or it
would put a strain on the drive train and wear out the tires - somewhat
like the old truck 4WD systems. We could always tell that the owner had
left the tractor in 4WD all the time because the front tires would be
badly worn and there would be wear/damage to the front drive components.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and the government
when it deserves it. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)