[AT] Multimeters--recomendation?

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Mon Sep 27 17:07:01 PDT 2004

I've got an old Signal Corp. Multimeter (TS-297/U) Serial # 297 that I
picked up somewhere years ago over 30 I'd say its about a W.W.II vintage. I like
it mostly because it moisture proof and has a heavy case, you throw it off a
truck at 40 MPH and then go back and dust it off and use it again. I lost the
top years ago or maybe never had one but it doesn't matter much. The only
thing  I don't like about it is the jump from 10 volts to 40 to 100 hard to check
12  volt systems that way. Its does MA but that not much good around old cars
and  tractors.
I used the larger version at work of the same Multimeter it would  read the
12 volts on a dirty battery by touching the Plus post and the side of  the
battery now that's sensitive.  Made it hard to chase down a loss of  power at
times so I would use the big meter on the Scope it wasn't very  sensitive.  Mostly
you have to use the type of meter that is made for what  you are doing a very
sensitive meter is great in electronics but can cause  problem on old dirty
vehicles when tracing down a problem. I kind of like my old  analog meter it
works great for what I use it for I guess if I was testing all  those little
computerized stuff in the newer cars then I would get a new digital  meter.
I put a D battery in this thing years ago for testing Owms and its still
there working now that service.

Walt Davies
Cooper Hollow  Farm
Monmouth, OR 97361