[Farmall] Hello

Bob Jacobs Carrowor at comcast.net
Tue Sep 14 14:23:38 PDT 2004

Hello again Stan,

I have to laugh at the "Cub" stories.  In 1966, when dad closed the
dealership, he traded in many of the current parts for a Farmall Cub.  He'd
been shopping around for a good used cub for three or four years.  We had 14
acres and he thought he'd like to do a little roadside garden type thing.
Anyhow,  One afternoon he headed for the IH Depot in Lansing with a load of
return parts.  I didn't find out til the next day all that happened but he
had a 1961 IH Pickup truck loaded to the max plus a few pounds.  He had a
couple flats on the way down and his mechanic ran extra tires to him so no
problem there.  After dropping the parts off he picked up his pride and joy,
a 1966 Cub with every implement made for it at the time.

No picture it,  1/2 ton pickup loaded with the Cub, 72" mower deck, sickle
bar mower, Disc, Drag, snow/grading plow, hydraulic setup etc.  Like I said,
everything.  As he pulled out of the dock in Lansing the bottom fell out of
the clouds.  About two in the morning my mother got the phone call that he
was sitting alongside the road in Saginaw with three flat tires, the rain
just pouring down and was beside himself with how to get out of this jam.

Mom drove to the mechanics house and they decided the best course of action
was to take the 2 1/2 ton store truck down and just winch the pickup and
load onto it.  I remember the hub bub because I was rudely awakened, dragged
out into the rain (October 31'st to be exact) and dumped off at my
Grandmother's house for the "duration" of the episode.

Anyhow,  that tractor still, to this day, looks brand spanking new.  Dad
would wash and wax it a few times a year and all the implements along with
the tractor were stored inside 100% of the time.  He used it to do his
farming" for a couple years then it just turned into a large toy as they
sold most of the land and only had a small garden.  The rotary mower deck
got used for one season and to mow only one very flat field (god forbid if
it hit a mole hill while using it  LOL), the sickle bar was mounted a few
times but never ran for very long.  The disc was used twice that I know of
and is still stored in the shed.  It's simply not heavy enough to do any
good in anything but the lightest soil.

The biggest use of the tractor was to pull his 6HP Associated engine in a
couple parades each year,  but it was his baby.

I made the mistake, as a teenager, of mounting the blade in the position for
plowing snow.  We had a heavy winter that year and without chains the little
cub didn't do much snow moving.  I quickly produced a homemade "snowchain"
rig and was able to clear the driveway but not without incident.  One of the
chains came loose and wrapped itself around the axle hub which in turn tore
the grease seal loose.  A few days later dad noticed a few drops of grease
on the garage floor and the proverbial doo doo hit the fan, and in my
direction.

Bob